Everybody Knows a Guy Who Can Do It Cheaper
Been doing construction long enough to know how this conversation usually goes.
Somebody calls me about building a deck.
I go look at it. Take measurements. Figure out what they want. Spend some time putting together a price.
Then comes the part I love.
"My cousin knows a guy who can do it for half that."
Well hell.
Call him.
I'm not saying that to be a smartass either.
If somebody can do the same job for half the money and do it right, you ought to hire him.
But there's usually a reason something costs what it costs.
Lumber ain't free. Neither is gas. Neither is my time.
And I don't know about your cousin's buddy, but I kinda like getting paid for working.
I've had people call me back six months later because the cheaper guy disappeared halfway through the job.
Or the deck looks like something somebody built during a drinking contest.
Then they want me to come fix it.
Which I can usually do.
But now you're paying me to take apart somebody else's bullshit before I can even start doing what you wanted done in the first place.
I don't blame anybody for trying to save money.
Hell, I do it myself.
I just think there's a difference between getting a good deal and getting exactly what you paid for.
And before somebody gets mad, I'm not saying every cheap contractor does bad work.
Some guys do great work and don't charge nearly enough for it.
Usually because they haven't figured out what their time is worth yet.
Took me a while to figure that out myself.
Anyway.
If your cousin's buddy can build that deck for half my price, give him a call.
Just keep my number.
You might need it.
No comments:
Post a Comment